Monday, December 13, 2010

This and That

I spent the entire day (literally) on my couch writing a paper for one of my graduate school classes. This particular assignment entailed watching Bend It Like Beckham and applying a wide variety of family therapy theories to it. And discussing it for 10 pages. Boo. I guess the movie could have been worse. But not by much. By 10 pm last night, my brain was absolutely fried. However, I did manage to watch The Real Housewives of Atlanta. Priorities, people.

I wish I could spend a day with NeNe and Kim. They are hysterical. And they certainly don't make excuses for who they are. Bad tv at it's very best. However, I'm not really feeling Phaedra. Or anyone who doesn't know their unborn child's due date. Seriously?
Sidenote: How about the episode with the maternity photo shoot where she and her hubby are eating pickles? Exactly where do you put a picture like that in your house? The mantle?

I babysat this afternoon for the girls (12 and 10 yrs old). The 12 year old had a friend along with her. As I listened to their conversation, I started to think about how the things we worry about change with our age. Most of what they were discussing was so petty. Who said what about who. Who likes who. Who said who has acne/a big nose/weird hair. Add in a whole lot of "Like" "um" "O-M-G" "nuh-uh"s into the mix and you have my drive home.

Sitting at each stoplight, I thought about how silly some of the things I used to worry about were. If I could go back and talk to my 16 year old self, she would surely get an earfull. I would tell myself that the person you are with in high school is rarely the person you marry. I would tell myself not to waste tears on silly boys. (On that same note, I would remind myself to avoid the "fixer upper" guys). I would tell myself to be friendly to everyone even if they aren't in your clique. "You aren't as fat as you believe yourself to be". "Don't stress too much over trigonometry and calculus, you will never actually use either". Your parents are right. And I'd be sure to let myself know that the best is yet to come.

What would you say to your younger self?

5 comments:

  1. Haha. This post cracks me up.. The pickle picture is so strange!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know my husband asked for two things for Christmas... a day to hang out with NeNe or an airplane (and no not a remote control plane... a real life-size plane). ha! I laughed aloud. NeNe is my favorite housewife of all time.

    p.s. thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha so glad you said something about those pickles, very gross and very strange.. I mean, atleast make them fried lol. She is really spacey and to not know your baby's due date, c'mon on! I would totally love to hang with NeNe, she has me laughing out loud most of the time...and then my husband just rolls his eyes and leaves the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hah! i'd say the mantle is probably a great place to put it...in their house, that is. riiiiiiiiidiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe that Phaedra supposedly passed the Bar. Ridiculous. And let's be honest. Homegirl knew her due date and that it would be sooo much closer to the wedding that people would easily know that she was knocked up before she said "I do." Her idiocy drives me crazy.

    NeNe and Kim are my favs, though. They are unapologetic.

    ReplyDelete