Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Alligator Adventures

Monday morning I was at the dog park in our apartment complex. There are 3 small lakes in the complex and one of them is right beside the dog park. We are used to seeing ducks and all kinds of birds. However, we are not used to seeing these guys.
I was throwing the ball with Chip enjoying the Florida sunshine when I heard a splash. I looked over at the water and sure enough, there was Mr. Alligator staring his two beady eyes back at me. I panicked and my fight or flight response engaged quickly got Chip and Barkley on their leashes and walked back to the apartment in a hurry. I even looked back a couple of times to make sure he wasn't running after me. He wasn't.

I don't think he was very big, but it was hard to tell because he was in the water. When TG got back from lunch I made him go down there with me to make sure it was safe. He was more than happy to accompany me on a lunch time adventure. We couldn't find him.

People in Florida are quite casual about alligators. Well folks, I'm here to tell you I am not. Yesterday when I went to the dog park, I honestly considered taking a steak knife with me (in the dog bag with the tennis balls and such). When I told TG about this last night, I realized just how crazy I sounded.

I'm definitely being more vigilant now. I'm on the look out for you, Mr. Gator. When I find him again, I will be sure to get a picture.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the giveaway, I'm just still collecting things : )

4 comments:

  1. A few months ago Jordan and I went to visit family who lives in Ponte Vedra. They have a pond at the entrance to their neighborhood, and one afternoon when we were going back to the house, we saw an alligator laying beside the pond. Jordan is weirdly obsessed with alligators so he went up behind it and TOUCHED ITS TAIL. What a nut job. I was scared for my life - haha. Glad you are safe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have pooped in my pants and I've lived in Fl my entire life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember to run in a zig zag line- they can't catch you that way. I'd totally be being a steak knife with me to the park as well. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH. My. Gosh. I would have FREAKING died! I can barely handle a pigeon that gets too close!! And I'm with ya on the knife too - ya just never know!

    ReplyDelete