Monday, March 14, 2011

Coming clean.

A few days ago I read my devotional for the day and it really hit home.

"Stop judging and evaluating yourself, for this is not your role. Above all, stop comparing yourself with other people. This produces feelings of pride or inferiority; sometimes, a mixture of both. I lead each of My children along a path that is uniquely tailor-made for him or her. Comparing is not only wrong; it is also meaningless."

(taken from Jesus Calling).

I feel like I battle this constantly. I tend to focus on how I measure up to other people. And I’ve decided to be conscious about this and actively avoid making these comparisons in my mind. My journey is unique. I cannot compare it to Jane, Sally, Sue or Mary’s journey. I am beyond lucky.

I’m learning that even though some people may seem to have the perfect life or relationship or job or family…everyone has imperfections.

I get so flustered when things rain on my perfect parade. How silly is that? Like, I’m stomping my feet on the inside. Riding around the neighborhood on my Huffy bike.

I’m learning that no one mistake or argument or bad day has to define who we are. It seems that what matters most is how we recover from our mistakes. Or apologize for our hurtful words…and move forward.

Starting to sound a litttttle like the last 2 minutes of every Grey’s Anatomy episode.

But seriously, then I turn on the news and can’t help but count my blessings. Is anyone else guilty of comparing their lives with other people?

7 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Kelle Hampton and wanted to stop by and say hi!

    I really appreciated that you shared your devotional with us, because I think it's something that is applicable to SO many, myself included. I've really been trying to focus on the positive and count my blessings instead of being negative or making comparisons that make me feel like I fall short.

    Thanks again, and happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a great devotional, thanks for sharing! i needed to be smacked back into that reality of faith and life today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i could have said every word you wrote. this is one of my biggest struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great devotional thanks for sharing that...
    I'm having this problem in reverse.. I feel like right this moment I am truly content with keeping my eyes and ears on my own life, my own business, and being happy with the way my own things work out (or don't work out)... but I am having people comparing themselves to ME, and either parading that they feel they are superior, or trying to put me down and show my inferiority. It's frusterating, and confusing. I wish they could all read this too.

    ReplyDelete