Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Guest Posting by Meet Virginia

I'm so excited to have Laura from Meet Virginia. posting for me today! Once you visit her blog once, you will become a regular visitor. It's one of my favorite daily reads! Thank you Laura for being such a great blog buddy and posting for me!


Top 10 Tips For New Runners

Hi everyone! My name is Laura and I write the blog Meet Virginia. I love Jesus, drawing, hummus, Africa, antique shopping, babies, running, blogs, John Mayer, and frozen yogurt. I’ve been known to ramble on about arts and crafts, baking, running, photography, my cute boyfriend, becoming a vegetarian, and everything in between.


I'm so excited to be blogging for Hannah today! I love her blog, and although we've never met, I'm pretty sure we would be best friends in real life.

As a once non-runner turned half-marathoner, one of the most frequent questions I receive is, "How do I start running?" Today I wanted to share my Top Ten Tips for new runners!

1. Start Slow. When I first decided that I wanted to start running, I could not run a lap around the group fitness studio with out stopping. Be patient with yourself. If you can only run a few minutes before stopping to walk, it's okay! Alternate between walking and running, but don't give up! Over time, you will build up your endurance and you will be running multiple miles in no time!

2. Make The Investment. Dedicating yourself to running is going to require time and money. It is important to make training your priority, and that means that you are going to have to invest your time. It is also crucial to invest in good running shoes. Don't skimp - poor quality shoes could result in injury. Spending the extra money is worth it to take care of your body!


3. Set a Goal: You may feel burned out quickly if you are just running aimlessly. Having a goal in mind helps to prevent burn out and gives you something to look forward to. This could be a time goal or an upcoming race.


4. Follow a Schedule. It doesn't matter if you are setting out to run a 5k, a 10k, a half-marathon, or a marathon. Whatever your goal may be, there is a training plan for it! Following a schedule helps you to get the best and most efficient work out. I am personally a fan of the Couch to 5k program and all of Hal Higdon's training program - just Google them!

5. Run With A Buddy. One of my best friends trained for and ran my first half-marathon with me. Having a buddy makes running more enjoyable, and keeps you accountable!


6. Make A Power Playlist. Make a playlist of your favorite songs to keep you upbeat and motivated while you run. Singing along is optional, but strongly recommended. ;)

7. Switch Up Your Route. Running the same route over and over again can become boring quickly! Keep things interesting by switching up your route frequently. Don't consider a vacation a time to skip your runs. - take advantage of the new setting by exploring while you run.

8. Don't Be Too Hard On Yourself. There will be days when you have a bad run. It happens to everyone. Don't get down on yourself if you don't run as fast as you would like or if your legs feel like lead. It happens! Also, don't forget to live your life! If you need to skip a run to celebrate a friend's birthday, it's okay! Life comes first.

9. Fuel Properly. Make sure to feed your body well in order to fuel your runs. Most people recommend cards for energy before a long run, and some people like to bring quick sources of sugar (jelly beans, Swedish Fish, Gu packs, etc...) with them to give them energy during their runs. You may have to do a bit of experimenting to see what works best for you.


10. Have fun! The most important tip I can give you is to have fun! Don't get too caught up in speed, times, distance, etc... Do what feels right to you and have FUN while doing it! :D


Feel free you stop by Meet Virginia and say hi!

3 comments:

  1. This was great! The tips are spot on & really helpful. I've set a goal to complete my first half marathon in September, so I will def. be bookmarking this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I love your blog. My name's Anna, I'm a stylist and visual merchandiser in LA. I'm 23 years old and moved to California after graduating back in south with a degree in visual merchandiser. I've worked with such designers as Max Azria, Nicole Richie, and my idol Rachel Zoe. I'd love if you visited my new blog for multiple posts a day on all things fashion. I'd love the support. I'm following you, I hope you'll do the same. Thanks so much.

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete