Monday, March 21, 2011

Weekend Update


*Warning: This post is photo-heavy!

Thursday afternoon I had to drop Barkley and Chip off at the vet to board for the weekend. I always hate leaving them. Neither one of them is a big fan of sleep away camp. (Read: Chip ran between my legs and Barkley tried to make a run for the door as I was leaving.)

But there were snuggles all around before we left the house.

Chip knew I was up to no good.

TG and I hopped on a plane to Chicago early Friday morning. We like to take early flights in order to maximize our long weekend : )

When we got to Chicago we headed out to the Patagonia store (I've needed a new fleece for some time now). We were starving so we decided to have lunch at the nearby Goose Island Brewery . I tried a Goose Island Wheat Ale. TG got some sort of dark beer that tasted a lot like mulch to me. Or rather it tasted how mulch smells.




Not my favorite but, when in Rome...

Friday afternoon was spent leisurely wandering around.

Then hung out with these guys...

Friday night, we celebrated TG's dad's birthday. His stepmom gave a dinner party which was so fun and filled with way too many delicious foods. TG's stepmom is an excellent cook. We had skirt steak, an amazing salad, creamed spinach, and baked potatoes with all the toppings. Not to mention homemade potato chips with black truffle salt. For dessert, we had fresh strawberries in a balsamic vinegar/sugar sauce which I could eat at every meal. And a bonus, one couple brought Sweet Mandy B's red velvet and carrot cake cupcakes.

Yes, a lot of exercise will take place this week.

Saturday we walked around for a while before ultimately deciding to have lunch at one of our favorite Chicago lunch spots, Bistro 110. I think we eat at Bistro 110 every time we're in Chicago.

To start, TG and I shared the escargots en croute. They also bring you bread with a whole head of roasted garlic. (One of the main reasons why we love this place). This time I got the endive salad with goat cheese and french onion soup. They have the best french onion soup-EVER.

For dessert, we shared the creme brulee--which was voted best in the city.

We won't argue otherwise.

Although we've been to the bean many times, I wanted to stop by.


I swear TG doesn't have a butt cut. It was just windy.

We grabbed coffee and walked around a little more.

Saturday night, we ate dinner with Tyler's dad at a restaurant in Old Town.

After dinner, we headed over to the Peninsula hotel bar for a couple of drinks.
One of TG's drinks had a huge perfectly rounded ball of ice in it. There was a special machine that made the ice like this.

Sunday, we had brunch at Wishbone before heading back home.

Quite the busy weekend but we had a great time.

(I'm still learning how to use this camera. I've heard that having a different lens makes a huge difference. What lens do you suggest? I have a Canon Rebel)

*P.S. I'm holding out on my giveaway until I reach 100 followers. I've started collecting things though : )

14 comments:

  1. so fun! chicago is such a great city...glad you had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a butt cut!!! hahahaha too funny!

    I love Chicago! Glad you enjoyed your time there...it is a great city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hannah! You are so gorgeous! Looks like such a fun weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the cannon rebel XSI and my lenses are Cannon made. They have image stabilization (you know because of the white square that links up with your lens on your body). It also makes a difference to get a lens hood. They can get pretty pricey, but you can find cheep ones on Amazon. Go with the hard plastic, rather than the collapsible. Looks like you had a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Chicago and that cupcake place looks divine :) XOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a rebel too, and it I think it depends on what you want to shoot. a 50mm is always a go-to lense!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to dive into that creme brulee. Glad you guys had a lovely trip! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like a great weekend-- i've never been to chicago! i think i'd have to wait until the summer months, when it's a bit warmer :). i'm new to the world of blogging, please stop by!

    ps-- you're now 1 step closer to 100 followers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo, I love photo-heavy posts and yours are great! I'm so happy I stumbled on your blog, I love it! I just entered the blogosphere myself and it's great to find other like-minded blogs. I'm sad to say I've only been to Chicago once, but your post makes me want to go back!
    Oh and I have a suggestion for running songs, anything Beyonce or TI. Random for me, b/c I truly do not listen to rap unless I'm running (I always listen to Beyonce though!), but it always gets me moving faster.
    Glad I can help you get to that giveaway faster, I'm looking forward to being a follower!

    http://abs-nottooshabby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. A: your pups are so cute
    B: I love and miss chi-town SO much (we used to live really close to it for about 5yrs)
    C: Love your blog, and am a new follower
    In no specific order :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You won my giveaway today! Yay!!! Send me your email so I can pass along the info.

    I would suggest getting a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy the posts! Looking forward to many more (:The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
    Wedding Dresses

    ReplyDelete