Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend {And the Joys of Dog Ownership}

This past weekend, TG was fishing in Siesta Key so I was flying solo for the day. It was SO wonderful to just have time to be alone and do whatever without worrying over school work. I layed by the pool and read. I'm almost finished reading The Help. I like it a lot and I'm so excited to see the movie when it comes out!

Sunday we ran some errands, hit up Pinkberry, and then lounged around until it was time to go to the movies. We saw Something Borrowed and we both liked it. I've heard a lot of people say that it wasn't that great and I know it didn't get awesome reviews. I mean, I was not expecting it to be some award-winning piece of cinematic art. It's a romantic comedy/chick flick. I enjoyed it and enjoyed seeing John Krazinski for 2 hours as well. After the movie, we walked over to one of our favorite restaurants downtown, Cassis. We got a couple of drinks and headed home.

Yesterday, we took the dogs over to Davis Island to swim. We came home thoroughly pleased with how exhausted the dogs were.

We dropped the dogs off at the house and headed to the store to grab groceries. When we came back, one of the dogs had had an accident (without getting to graphic...explosive, you know.) Luckily the majority of it was water. (Yes, I just said that.) They always swallow a lot of water while swimming but it's not usually a big deal.

For a solid 5 minutes or so, TG and I just stared at each other. Speechless. Then it was time for teamwork. It was no easy feat but it was done.

When you first get a puppy, you don't think about all of these type of incidences that may occur. You certainly don't think about the vet bills you'll face when your sweet dog eats a tide-to-go pen. Or an entire tube of chapstick. Or the first 30 pages of a book.

When I was picking Barkley out, thoughts of messes that need Stanley Steamer services did not enter my mind.

And the crazy thing is...they're so worth it. It's like a happiness tax. They bring so much joy to us each day but sometimes we have to pay a little bit.

Note: These were not my thoughts as I was scrubbing the carpet yesterday.

I couldn't help but think of Forrest Gump saying "Shit happens".


4 comments:

  1. I like to call that diarrhea explosion. We had that last week and I had to call the carpet cleaners asap. Same thing happened when we took Bailey to the beach..except he didn't even make it to the car before he "pooped" on my leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't a weekend to yourself great? I loved reading The Help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate, I just got a new puppy and it seems like everything has turned into her bathroom, esp my nicer items!

    ReplyDelete