Monday, June 6, 2011

Dear Syd...

"You never know what is around the corner unless you peek. Hold someone’s hand while you do it…you’ll feel less scared.. You can’t do this alone. Plus, it’s much more fun to succeed and fail with other people. You can blame them when things go wrong. Take your risks now, as you grow older you become more fearful and less flexible…literally. Try to keep your mind open to possibilities and your mouth closed on matters you don’t know about. Limit your ‘always’ and your ‘nevers’. Continue to share your heart with people, even if it’s been broken."

[Amy Poehler]

[Harvard Graduation Speech, 2011]

Dear Sydney,

I can't believe you are graduating from high school tomorrow. It seems like just yesterday you were giving me the silent treatment because I had taken candy from your stash under the bed. It makes me laugh to think about the fact that we each had our own bedrooms but you always ended up sleeping in my big bed. I think I was about 13 when I insisted that you stop. Tears ensued...and probably some more silent treatment. History repeated itself when I came home from college each summer. I always looked forward to gathering junk food and watching Will & Grace DVDs with you each night. When I had the car accident in college, I was so relieved when Mom and Dad got to the ER. I was even more glad that you had come too.

I'm so grateful that God made us sisters (in one of the craziest families in the world). I feel completely blessed that we are so close. I cherish all of the memories we have made and look forward to many, many more. I cannot wait to see what God has in store for you. College is the best time of your life. (Just ask TG..haha) Expect to have Tess and I crash in your dorm/apartment at some point during football season.

Oh and don't forget... "You take what you take." haha

You are my heart.

Congratulations.

Love,

Hannah

1 comment: