Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Word about Chicago

I feel so blessed to live in such an amazing city. It's no secret that I'm obsessed with this town.

Upon leaving the South, I thought I would miss the "southern hospitality", yes sir/yes ma'am, sweet tea way of life. Although I do miss sweet tea and Duke's mayonnaise, I have found comfort and ease in being in a big city in the Midwest.

Prior to moving here, I had heard people say that Chicagoans were really nice people. Moving to a big city, I expected to encounter some rude and unfriendly people. I've had several encounters with not-so-nice people in New York and Boston. I mean, obviously, there are rude and mean people in every city in the world.

But I must say, so far I have been pleasantly surprised. I said to TG yesterday: People are so stinking kind here. I sneezed walking down the street and had three people bless me!

The other day at the L station, I must have looked confused. A man walked right over to me, asked if I needed help, and pointed me in the right direction.

I'm just saying-- A little kindness goes a long way. And there is definitely Midwestern Hospitality too.

10 comments:

  1. I love Chicago. I think if we were in a postion to move it would be my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. despite never being able to get out of o'hare on time, we really are friendly. i've lived here my entire life and it's so easy to get sucked in & wrapped up in the beauty that is chicago & her people. we appreciate the history of our little, big town, we make the most of every season (even when a blizzard strikes), and most of all are quick to welcome new people to our city! welcome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that Chicago is a very kind city! I lived in Michigan for 10 years, so I knew Midwestern people were great, but I was skeptical about city people. I'm certainly thrilled with everyone in Chicago and love it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is a great city. My husband and I lived there for 30 years and still miss it. This is my first visit to your blog. I decided to take a little extra time and browse through your earlier entries. I'm so glad I did that. You've really created a great spot for your readers to visit and I enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad it sounds Chicago is embracing you, and you are embracing Chicago :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww I love stories like these :) People are good! Your blog is super cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm so happy you're loving it. i've heard so many amazing things. Every time I watch Giulianna and Bill on style I want to move to Chicago lol. adore this post. I hope you had a great weekend. I'd love to hear what you think of my latest outfit post. xoxo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    If you get a second I'd love if you could "like" fash Boulevard's page on facebook. Thanks love.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fash-Boulevard/137375899661727

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say I agree with Chicagoans can be super sweet too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my good friends just moved to Chicago and was worried about missing the south- good to know the people there are just as kind :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of my good friends just moved to Chicago and was worried about missing the south- good to know the people there are just as kind :)

    ReplyDelete