Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A Word on Relationships.

I was chatting with one of my best friends the other day and we started talking about relationships. Hers. Mine. And just in general.

When I was younger, I had this idea that when you fall in love everything is perfect all of the time. I think most people in real relationships can confirm that this is simply not the case. Relationships are hard work. People aren't perfect. And it's silly to expect someone else to be perfect when we ourselves are imperfect. No one is happy go lucky every second of every day. People have bad days.

My sister and I joke about what my mom has told me countless times. It goes something like this: "Love and life and marriage aren't a fairy tale everyday. No one wakes up head over heels in love every single day of their life for their entire life. You just have to do the best you can with the person you love."

That being said, I am lucky to have TG. We love each other. But nothing is perfect. I don't want it to ever seem that way. In fact, I find it a little irritating when I read blogs where it's all rainbows and daisies and hearts all the time. Of course, we have arguments. Of course, I can be difficult. Of course, we can get on each other's nerves. But we forgive each other. I think that's what is important.

Relationships are full of ups and downs. Peaks and valleys. I saw this quote recently and I thought it was pretty perfect.

"In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to find a person who loves you for exactly who you are. Good mood, bad mood, ugly, pretty, handsome, what have you, the right person will still think the sun shines out your ass. That's the kind of person worth sticking with"
-Juno

Thoughts?

9 comments:

  1. very true! well said! love that quote - it pretty much sums it all up, doesn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this post! Relationships do take tons of work but it is definitely all worth it to be with the one you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sister and so true. Kevin and I have fought and we just try to learn from each disagreement. And we're getting better at dropping it and moving on. This was harder for me but it's important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So true! The blogs about rainbows and butterflies drive me nuts. No relationship is perfect all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is exactly what I needed to read today! Lately my fiance and I have been so busy and it seems as if things could never get back to how they use to be when were first started dating. We have realized that the rest of our lives together are going to be crazy and hectic and times and we just need to make the best of it (like your mom told you). Thanks for sharing!

    everydayaem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very well said! I like this reminder because it's something we can all relate to, whether we want to admit it or not :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So true! STH and I have many ups and downs, and faced lots of issues during our engagement (glad that's all behind us!), but we wouldn't be where we are now if we hadn't. I totally relate :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so true. 'Marriage is a verb' is one my favorite quotes. You don't just get married/committed and that's it. It's constant practice!

    ReplyDelete