Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Perennial Virant

Last weekend, TG and I ate at Perennial Virant with some family. This cozy Lincoln Park spot did not disappoint. I especially loved the decor...complete with some amazing mason jar chandeliers. This could be a really great place to have a small party or even a rehearsal dinner. Just an all around good feel.


Chef Paul Virant employs the farm to table concept and creates his menus using seasonal (and mostly local) ingredients. The Chef is also known for his incorporation of pickling into his dishes. The menu is categorized by small, medium, and large plates. Sharing is encouraged.

Our picks:
-Bar Snacks ("deviled farm egg, three sisters spicy corn nuts, & a soft pretzel with smoked cheddar sauce"). This was a fun and more gourmet twist on some traditional bar fare. The deviled egg was my favorite.

-Housemade Charcuterie ("shaved turnips, mustard greens, grilled bread, klug farm blueberry mostarda"). TG enjoyed this more than I did. It wasn't bad or anything, just not my favorite.

-Crispy Barramundi ("with sweet potato puree, brussel sprouts, bacon & cranberry vinaigrette"). I loved this dish. The fish was light and really showcased the seasonal flavors. I would definitely order this again.

-Crispy Prairie fruits farm Gnudi ("marina di chioggia squash puree, brown butter, gremolata"). Let's be honest.. I didn't know what Gnudi was but quickly became a fan. It's like Gnocchi's delicious sister. This was my other favorite dish.

-Cdk angus beef ribeye ("with fried fingerling potatoes, pickled garlic, kale, burgundy snails"). TG had this and I had a little bite. It was really great but the potatoes were a little disappointing...our waiter made them sound better than they were.

The dessert we ordered was the special...frozen yogurt with grapes. (Finally got my frozen yogurt fix!) The Chef also sent out some complimentary sugar cookies that were likely the best I've ever had. Not your average sugar cookie.

We both agreed that we would definitely be returning in the future. Perennial also does a weekend brunch, which I'm sure is every bit as delicious as it's menu sounds.

Perennial Virant
1800 N. Lincoln Avenue, Chicago, IL

images via 1, 2,
*menu item descriptions in italics taken from website

5 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy...JCW has been raving about a deep fried deviled egg he had in Chicago. The two halves of the deviled egg were put back together and then the whole egg was deep fried! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! Hoping to make it to Chicago soon and added it to my list of places to try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been wanting to go here! It's newly reopened, right? Adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I've been wanting to check it out, since it reopened. So glad you loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this place! I've been for brunch but not yet for dinner since the reopening ~ definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete